If you are an innovator who is up for a challenge and ready to have a positive impact on society, here is a chance to enter the #HackTheGerms innovation competition.
ADCEM Pharmaceuticals, DRASA, the Enterprise Development Centre (EDC) of Pan-Atlantic University, eLab, and the Global Entrepreneurship Network (GEN) Nigeria are looking for innovative designs for community hand sanitizer dispensers.
The contest is open to all sorts of submissions. You can submit a drawing, scanned sketch, digital image, video, or any other type of visual that showcases your innovative dispenser idea.
At this stage, the competition is not open to prototypes. It just looking for ideas, not finished products. It will work with the semi-finalists to develop prototypes.
— DRASA (Dr. Ameyo Stella Adadevoh) Health Trust (@drasatrust) October 15, 2017
Most importantly, the #HackTheGerms innovation competition is open to everyone. You don’t have to be in the health sector or be a designer. It is open to everyone.
- There is a lack of basic hygiene practices in the rural and urban communities of Nigeria. With a population of more than 190 million people and an already overburdened healthcare system, this means that Nigeria is at high risk of infectious disease outbreaks.
- Hand hygiene is usually only prioritized during outbreaks. For example, during Nigeria’s Ebola outbreak, hand sanitizer was everywhere and people were using it. Unfortunately, that is no longer the case.
- There is a lack of high-quality, locally-produced hand sanitizers and dispensers for people to use.
The goal of this competition is to address the challenge above by developing a dispenser that will ensure ongoing availability and access to hand sanitizer to help reduce the spread of infectious diseases and improve the health of Nigeria’s rural and urban communities.
DRASA has partnered with ADCEM Pharmaceuticals and Healthcare to develop locally-manufactured infection control and hygiene products – starting with hand sanitizer that meets international standards. The winning dispenser design will support the distribution of this locally-manufactured product.
WHO CAN PARTICIPATE?
Anyone! We know great ideas can come from anywhere so we invite all big thinkers, entrepreneurs, students, innovators, inventors, individuals, and problem solvers to share your idea for a chance to make it a reality.
- Participation in a workshop in Lagos during Global Entrepreneurship Week in November 2017 to connect with experts and pitch your idea
- Free trip to the Global Entrepreneurship Congress in Istanbul, Turkey in April 2018 to pitch your innovation to a global audience
- Participation in the eLab Social Innovation Accelerator for support (access to mentors, executive coaches, marketing, and financial experts, etc.)
- Innovative hand sanitizer dispenser design (new concept or revision of existing concept)
- Not individual/personal size (can hold a larger volume of sanitizer and can be refilled)
- Must be able to be produced in Nigeria
- Cost-effective, scalable solution
All designs must be submitted by 11:59 pm WAT on Friday, October 20th, 2017
Enter the #HackTheGerms innovation competition!
Got an idea? Click the button below to submit!Submit Your Idea